OUTAGE: Electric 913.573.9522 | Water 913.573.9622
Electric 913.573.9522
Water 913.573.9622
A street corner during the day. It's the junction of 6th street and Minnesota Avenue.

Kansas Open Records ACT (KORA) Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do I request a public record?
    • Visit to see if what you are looking for is available online. Open record request forms are also available online. For assistance on submitting an open records request, contact Chief Communications Officer David Mehlhaff at 913-573-9173 or dmehlhaff@bpu.com.

  • Do I have to put my request in writing?
    • To ensure both you and are clear on what you are requesting, they may require you to put a request in writing. While does provide forms for submitting requests, you are not required to use any particular form and email requests are acceptable.

  • Who can request a record?
    • Anyone can. There is no requirement that a person making the request has any relationship to the records being requested. There is no special status for any person making a record request, even if the record is about them.

  • What might ask of me when I request records?
    • may ask for a form or proof of your identity. They may also ask that you provide your name and address which is optional.

  • Do I have to go in person to the place where the records are kept to make my request?
    • No, you may make your request in writing from anywhere. Many record transactions are handled through the mail or even online.

  • What do I do if that has the records doesn’t have full-time staff or regular business hours?
    • The Kansas Open Records Act (KORA) permits very small agencies that do not have regular office hours to establish reasonable hours when you can inspect or copy records, but may require 24-hour’s notice. All other requirements for access remain the same.

  • May I take a public record and have it copied elsewhere?
    • Not without the record custodian’s approval. If copies cannot be made where records are kept, the custodian will make arrangements to have copies made. Public record custodians are required to keep original documents safe in the event a request is submitted.

  • When can I expect to receive the records?
    • It depends on the availability of the records. Some records may be provided at the time they are requested, others may have to be gathered and reviewed before releasing them.

  • What is the “three day” requirement?
    • must act upon your request as soon as possible, but not more than three business days, beginning the day after the request is received.

  • Does this mean I will get the records in three days?
    • No, must communicate with you within three days. They may provide the records, or explain they do not have the records, or notify you that your request is in progress and will be completed as soon as possible.

  • Is there a deadline of when records must be given to me?
    • No, each request and record is unique. If there is a delay the record custodian should provide an estimated time to you. Records may need to be obtained from remote locations. Other records that contain closed portions must be reviewed and appropriately redacted.

  • Does KORA require that answer my questions?
    • No, KORA only applies to records as they exist prior to your request. If you are asking for information, analysis, or an explanation about a policy, you might get them, but not under the rules of KORA. KORA does not require to do research or provide answers to your questions.

  • May I request records that will be created in the future?
    • No, records not yet in existence are not subject to KORA. Even though many records are routinely created, such as meeting minutes and monthly financial reports, your request must be made after they are prepared and available.

  • May charge fees for accessing or copying records?
    • Yes. KORA permits to recover their costs for gathering and copying records.

  • What kinds of costs are allowed?
    • may only charge the direct cost for staff time to gather, review, photocopy, and send the records to you. may not charge for overhead or indirect costs.

  • Is there a standard fee schedule that must use?
    • No, KORA permits to establish fees. must present the best estimate for actual costs.

  • May collect fees in advance?
    • Yes, KORA allows to collect estimated fees in advance. If the actual cost is less, you will be refunded the difference. If it is more, may bill you for the additional costs.

  • What can I do if I believe the fees are unreasonable?
    • You may contact the county or district attorney about the issue. If can justify the fees and confirm they are based upon actual costs, then they are reasonable.

  • May I use a public record that contains names or addresses to offer goods or services for sale?
    • No, KORA prohibits using names and addresses as a marketing tool except in very limited cases, such as professional organizations that offer educational opportunities for licensed individuals.

  • If I request a public record that contains names and addresses, do I have to sign a special form?
    • Yes, KORA permits to require that you certify to not use the names and addresses for any prohibited purposes. If you do not sign the form, will not provide the records.


540 Minnesota Avenue
Kansas City, KS 66101-2930
(913) 573-9000 Contact Us

Equal Opportunity Employer | Careers ©2020 Kansas City Board of Public Utilities | Privacy | Site Map | Español
© 2020 Kansas City Board of Public Utilities